Exploding in popularity over recent years, Bulletproof Coffee is a high-calorie alternative to replace your morning coffee with. There are many benefits and downsides associated with this coffee drink, but it is still considered to be a healthy coffee. If you haven’t tried it yet and are still wondering what is Bulletproof Coffee, we will cover everything you need to know!
Due to its high-calorie content, this coffee drink is actually meant to be a breakfast replacement, rather than a cup of joe to go with your morning food. Of course, you don’t have to consume it in the morning, breakfast is just a common meal to replace. We will take a look at the background, downsides, and benefits of Bulletproof Coffee, so you can decide whether this high-calorie drink is for you!
Related: Peet’s Coffee
What Is Bulletproof Coffee?
Bulletproof Coffee is a high-calorie butter-based coffee drink, also referred to as Keto Coffee or Butter Coffee. It is intended to be a drink replacement for breakfast due to its high calories.
The original recipe for Bulletproof Coffee includes Ghee or grass-fed butter, coffee, and MCT oil. Others can be made by blending brewed coffee with unsalted butter and coconut oil, this is slightly different as coconut oil contains long-chain fatty acids compared to the medium-chain in MCT oil.
The coffee drink is considered to be relatively healthy as it is high in saturated fats and the benefits are varied, including increased energy levels, improved focus, and reduced hunger.
Bulletproof Coffee is an interesting trend in the health world. It has been gaining popularity for years now and it’s easy to see why. There are also a number of other products relating to the coffee including, Bulletproof Original Creamer, Bulletproof Collagen Protein powder, and the Bulletproof Cold brew latte.
Related: 7 Brew Coffee
The Origins of Bulletproof Coffee – Who Invented it?
It seems like a strange concept to mix butter and coffee, but this unique coffee drink has been around since 2011. The first recipe for the drink was published by Dave Asprey, who claimed that Bulletproof Coffee provided an energy boost that lasts for hours. He also said it could help people lose weight because the fats in the drink will keep them full for hours.
Dave Asprey, the creator of the coffee, is an entrepreneur and author who has been in Silicon Valley for over 20 years. He has founded several companies and worked as an angel investor in many others. In 2011 he started experimenting with various ingredients to make his morning cup of joe more filling.
He found out that adding butter and MCT oil to his morning brew helped him feel more full, for longer periods. This led to the creation of Bulletproof Coffee – a beverage that combines the best parts of breakfast (coffee and calories) with the most ketogenic part (butter).
Related: Coffee for Wellness
Why is Bulletproof Coffee So Popular?
Bulletproof Coffee is quickly becoming a household name and is popular for its ability to provide energy, replace meals, and improve mental performance. It has been gaining popularity due to the benefits it can provide to special diets and its ability to add extra calories where needed. This drink provides your body with healthy fats from the butter and around 230 calories per serving. It also contains no sugars and salts; see the nutrition information below:
- Calories: 230
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 21g
- Carbs: 0g
- Protein: 0g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar: 0g
- Salt: 0mg
This coffee is perfect for those who want to follow the keto, paleo, and low-carb diets. This has helped Bulletproof Coffee become a trend amongst health and fitness communities around the world.
Related: Wandering Bear Coffee
What Are The Benefits of Bulletproof Coffee?
There are several benefits of Bulletproof Coffee that relate to the individual ingredients including higher antioxidants, increased energy, fatty acids, and good cholesterol. However, it is important to note that there are many articles and videos with false information that isn’t supported by research, with claims of health benefits of Bulletproof Coffee.
We have collated some information from various trusted sources to explain some of the health benefits of Bulletproof Coffee:
- The coffee itself is full of antioxidants that fight against free radicals (which can lead to cancer). Then there are the added benefits of energy, fat burning, brain stimulation, and reduced risk of certain diseases.
- The MCT oil is a great source of healthy fats which promote good cholesterol in the body – leading to a reduced risk of heart disease. There have also been studies to show that some benefits can include weight loss and boosting energy.
- The grass-fed butter is packed with antioxidants and good fatty acids. It’s also a good source of vitamins A and K2 which can contribute to bone and heart health.
- It benefits those on special diets. For the Keto diet, MCT oil can help to promote Ketosis. For other diets, the high calories and saturated fats are useful.
- The coffee can make you feel full due to the high calorie content. This is a benefit for those looking to replace a small meal or fill any lost calories.
What Are The Downsides of Bulletproof Coffee
There are also some potential downsides to Bulletproof Coffee. Whilst nothing is sufficiently backed by research and will be depending on individual diets, it’s still worth being aware of the potential downsides.
- High levels of saturated fats can be consumed through the coffee drink due to the butter. This can lead to high cholesterol and heart problems. In moderation, there shouldn’t be any danger of this. If you are unsure, speak to your doctor.
- You may end up missing out on nutrients from food if you skip a meal every day. This coffee drink shouldn’t be a regular meal replacement.
- You could gain weight if you consume the coffee drink in addition to meals.
Bulletproof Coffee is a great way to shake up your coffee drinking routine. We found that it tastes great, isn’t expensive, and it did leave us feeling full for longer than usual. Whilst you shouldn’t replace meals regularly, this is a great option if you do. We highly recommend giving Bulletproof Coffee a try!
The Final Sip
People drink bulletproof coffee for a variety of reasons. Some people drink it because it tastes good, others drink it because they want to increase their energy levels, and some people drink it for its health benefits.
There are many benefits to drinking bulletproof coffee in the morning. It can provide you with a boost of energy, help with weight loss, and make you feel fuller for longer. Try it out for yourself.