For many people, Fall is the most popular season. The weather gets colder, fires can be lit, and leaves turn to orange, but more importantly, pumpkin spiced coffee drinks start to emerge. The main hype around this drink is due to the Starbucks version of the pumpkin spiced latte, but there are many coffee chains and independent cafés that make great versions of this popular fall drink.
The problem is, buying coffee all the time can be expensive, and sometimes you don’t have the time to wait in line. That’s where you can try this homemade pumpkin spice latte recipe that’s easy to make, doesn’t require much time, and will save you money.
Don’t forget to check out this Coffee Martini recipe too.
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
- 2 cups of Whole Milk
- 2 tbsp of Pumpkin Puree
- 2 tbsp of Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ½ cup Coffee
- Whipped Cream
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
For Homemade Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Small Baking Pumpkin
- 1 tbsp Salt
For Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend
- 1 tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- Pinch Ground Cloves
For the Homemade Pumpkin Puree
- Cut the pumpkin in two starting from the stem to the bottom.
- Remove the seeds and any stringy flesh that is inside the pumpkin.
- Season the clean pumpkin with some salt.
- Place the pumpkin with the cut side down into a baking sheet. Roast the pumpkin until the flesh gets soft.
- Once the pumpkin is roasted and the flesh has softened, scoop out the softened flesh into a food processor and blend until you get a smooth and paste-like consistency.
For the Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend
- All you need to do it mix together ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, and ground cloves until it is perfectly blended. (Note: you can add another 1 tsp of ground cinnamon for more flavor)
For the Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
- In a saucepan, mix together milk, pumpkin puree, and sugar over medium heat.
- Continue mixing until the blend is perfectly combine. Cook the blend until hot but make sure that you don’t boil it.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool down for a bit.
- Pour in your vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and fresh brewed coffee and whisk together until perfectly blended.
- Pour the mixture in a mug and top with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle some pumpkin pie spice.
- Serve and enjoy
- Protein Content: 9 grams
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 grams
- Dietary Fiber: 1 gram
- Sugar Content: 20 grams
- Fat Content: 6 grams
- Cholesterol Content: 24 milligrams
Why is Pumpkin Spice Latte so Popular?
Pumpkin spice latte is popular due to its sweet taste and fall feeling. Its popularity started in America and has since spread all over the world, around Fall and Winter time.
Commonly, pumpkin spice is associated with pumpkin pie, the popular American desert that is served around thanksgiving (fall time). Then pumpkin spice lattes became a popular coffee drink before expanding into other pumpkin treats.
Not only can you get a pumpkin spice latte, you can now get pumpkin spice donuts, cakes, pies, chocolate, and many other food and drink items. There is even an iced version for those that live in hot states/countries but still want to take part in the fall trend.
What is in a Pumpkin Spice Latte?
A pumpkin spice latte usually contains coffee, milk, pumpkin spice syrup, and cream. There are many ways to make a pumpkin spice latte, so your drink may contain different ingredients.
For example, if you made the recipe above, you would be using fresh cloves, cinnamon, and other spices to make the pumpkin spice. Whereas, coffee chains like Starbucks would generally use a syrup. Creams and various milks are optional too.
Remember that a pumpkin spice latte still contains coffee. May people believe it is a sweet or dessert type drink, but it is still very much a coffee, just a sweeter version.
Does Pumpkin Spice Latte Taste Good?
Pumpkin spice latte tastes very sweet and doesn’t have a strong coffee taste. Most people think that it tastes good, even those who don’t like coffee.
If you don’t like sweet drinks, then the pumpkin spice latte might not be for you. Otherwise, it is a great tasting drink for fall time as it is warm and brings great nostalgia.
Is Pumpkin Spice Latte Better Hot or Cold?
The pumping spice latte is better hot as it usually consumed around fall time when the temperatures are low. If you live in a hot state or country, then the iced version might be better for you.
The does not really change, it’s more the warmth and feeling you get when drinking it. If you still consume iced coffees in the fall season, then there really is no difference, just choose whichever one you prefer.
The Final Sip
There are many variations of pumpkin spice latte recipes, you can adjust ingredients or add/remove items as you prefer. If you want a really lazy hack to make one, use a coffee machine to brew a latte and just add pumpkin syrup. If you make it with fresh ingredients, it will taste much better, though.